Saturday, September 1, 2012

Swatching using Cabochons, or, I am the crazy polish lady.

 Swatching your collection can be an important part of the life of the polisher.  If you have more than a few polishes, especially more than a few of each color, as I have obviously ended up with, having the ability to compare colors and see what they'd look like against your skin before applying can be pretty valuable.

I tried swatching on nail wheels, just the basic ones you buy at Sally's Beauty, and while they came in handy for a while, I found that they were a little flimsy, and I ran out of room on them.  I had to swatch blues on my nudes wheel, greens on my pinks wheel, etc., and it was driving me batty.  I could've invested in infinite numbers of wheels, but the ability to compare would still be hampered.
Swatch sticks (fake nails attached to small wooden or plastic sticks) are also pretty popular, and I may end up doing that as well, but I got the idea (from some fabulous members of a polish thread on Something Awful) to paint all of my polishes on the backs of glass cabochons (acquired at the dollar store), then attach them to magnets and stick them to a metal surface (as of right now, a cookie sheet I got at TJ Maxx, because it's big enough and once I find a more permanent metal surface I can hang somewhere, I can bake cookies!)
For glitters, I painted the backs with 2 coats, then a coat of black, and for all other polishes, I put 2 coats on, then a coat of white to ensure opacity so the adhesive on the magnets doesn't show through the polish.  I numbered the cabochons and their corresponding bottles with the same number, so I can match the cabochon with the polish I used on it; I'm hoping to have the numbers in a spreadsheet soon for quick reference.  I had a heck of a good time doing this, and now have some really pretty interactive art to show me what my polishes look like!

One thing to keep in mind if you plan on doing this; don't get cabochons with any iridescence on them.  It will   mar the color of the polish as it shines through the glass, making your swatches inaccurate.  Also, ventilate!  You likely won't get bubbles in your polish like you might if you have a fan on and windows open when painting your nails, and the fumes could build up really quick.

9 comments:

  1. I've decided to do this! I think I'm going to put them on my refrigerator...my kitchen needs some color...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun to rearrange them into pretty galaxies or flowers or other shapes! On the fridge is a great idea, if ours wasn't so cluttered I'd probably do that.

      Delete
    2. I do this too! So pretty! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. This looks totally awesome, I love the thought, maybe not all 400+ bur some favorites LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! And a beautiful way to have your polishes on display all the time. This is sheer brilliance for comparing colours and looking at colour combinations (for feature nails or whatever). You're a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is that beautiful flecked polish directly in the center of the 3rd picture? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Color Club Covered in Diamonds; I got mine in an awesome set from Ross!

      Delete
  5. After seeing this on SA and then here, I totally think I have to do this even though I just finished a massive re-swatching endeavor (moved from wheels to individual sticks). It looks so pretty this way!

    ReplyDelete